The CD2H Data Harmonization project, part of the CD2H Next Generation Data Repository Core, identifies and curates resources and tools that enable a common framework for rendering and querying clinical data. Central to the effort is designating the HL7 FHIR specification as a canonical hub to simplify integration from clinical electronic health records and transform into a broad spectrum of translational research data models. We do this by engaging expertise across the CTSA community through workshops, electronic workspaces, and community web events.
Explore Our Work
Federated Data Query Workshop May 20 & 21st, 2019
The Data Harmonization Working Group in CD2H hosted a two-day (May 20-21) workshop in Baltimore on data harmonization and federated query. For details about this workshop, including industry subject matter expert presentations, see this link: Workshop
Mapping to, from, and among translational research common data models can be greatly facilitated by invoking FHIR as a canonical hub. An analyis of many existing mapping is updated on this page: CDM-FHIR Mappings.
There are many FHIR Servers options for FHIR repositories.
- The CDM-FHIR Gap Analaysis Task Team has complied the most comprehensive mappings assembled to date. If you know of any other mappings that you do not see here, please add.
- PCORNet ValueSet Mappings Table
- ACT(i2b2) ValueSet Mappings Table
- OHDSI FHIR WG Mappings
- To Create CAMP FHIR views from PCORnet
- To Create CAMP FHIR views from ACT
HL7 FHIR Standard Engagement
The CD2H team is engaging the HL7 and FHIR communities around interoperability standards critical to large-scale translational research. A summary of current activities is here: HL7 Engagement and Translational Research Working Group
Data Harmonization Maturity Model
- The Sustainability and Change Management Task Team has developed a data harmonization maturity model and it is ready for wider CTSA Community input. Please review and add your feedback to Data Harmonization Maturity Model.
FHIR for Translational Research Blog
Prompted by the recent NIH statement endorsing the use of FHIR for research clinical data, CD2H authored this blog: Forging Translational Research Networks with FHIR.
We encourage the community to get involved.
We are looking for community participation in the following areas:
- CDM-FHIR Gap Analysis Task Team
- Sustainability and Change Management Task Team
- FHIR Server Options Task Team
HL7 Engagement Task Group Here is a Google Doc of CTSA members interested in engaging the HL7 FHIR community. Add your name to this list, and inform Tricia Francis at email@example.com.
- Clinical Data Harmonization and Federated Query for Translational Research: Reflections and Report on a CD2H Workshop - Manuscript
- This report, developed by a small team of representatives across the CTSA community, though unfinished, is avialable for input across the wider CTSA community. Your review and input is requested in this collaborative document.
If you are interested in participating, please onboard here or contact Tricia Francis at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
Documentation for the various data harmonization task teams can be found at this Google drive folder and project specific work may be located at the data-harmonization GitHub repo in the wiki or .md files.